PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Bay - Deer Camp - Oct 25th

Kevin Nelson
10-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Our annual invasion from Vermont has begun as we turn serious about deer camp. The first day of scouting included the sighting of a nice shooter buck. The cold weather forecast for late this week has been pushed back a few days, which should allow several of the groups to get in and set-up before the deer start moving. We are not sure what this season will produce for deer, but more and more seem to be showing themselves recently.

The Tamarack trees are now mostly golden in color. Some very neat sights for traveling to/from Fort Frances with some area's having a mix of golden Tamarack and green spruce (or balsam) trees. Yes, I should have had my camera with and I knew it - but if someone wants to e-mail me a picture I will post it.

I didn't fish as much last week as I had thought I would, but a few things are accomplished.

- Cabin 16 & 17 have new energy efficient picture windows. We will have some painting & staining to finish up in the spring but wow, these are nice windows.

- added a new 2.5 HP 4 stroke Mercury motor which will be an additional option for our portage lakes and even canoe trips. The motor weights 46 pounds and is fairly easy to carry. This should be a popular item for fishing Jessie and Robinson lakes where we already have the boats cached. Canoe trips into Cameron, Mongus and the many other remote access lakes and ponds will open up a whole lot of different adventures for our guests.

- added a 20' Partyfish pontoon with 40 HP Mercury motor to our rental options (imported and transferred a personal boat to the resort). Rented until the end of our 2009 season, already. This boat is great for kids (below age 5 and over the age of 75), those with physical challenges (bad knees), family events, hauling heavy loads across the lake and it makes a pretty decent fishing boat also. I might rig it for trolling as it would be a nice boat for ice out Lake Trout!

It was a good week. I don't think I will do any fishing in the coming week, but would like to slip out for a few hours late in the season. Some of the hunters are also bringing some fishing gear so might have more fishing to report on.

Regards,