PDA

View Full Version : Turnover

Esox masquinongigantis
10-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Chad/Scott/Knowledgable Fisherman on Lake Kinkaid,
I was wondering at what temperature normally Kinkaid has turnover? Because of the clarity and depth I was thinking turnover would be low 50's or right at 49/50? I heard a fisherman who fishes the lake often mention that he thought the lake was going through turnover right now...however after being out last Thursday, Friday and today, I have to disagree. From my experience turnover results in dying weeds and extremely clear water...I would guess it would be the same on Kinkaid?? Having a background in science, I understand the principles of turnover and the near anaerobic environment (and sulfourous gases being released) near the surface that makes fishing so tough during that time. I would guess some fish would move extremely shallow, where there is essentially "no turnover" because of a lack of stratification of water temperatures, or and other fish would suspend DEEP over open water; both of which would have comfortable oxygen levels.
I am just asking this because the last few times fishing (for me) has been tough (albeit I did not fish any marathon days), and it made my mind wonder quite a bit. How has fishing been for you guys recently?

Scott Donovan
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
My personal opinion is that portions have started to turn. Main lake still seems to have a deep thermocline. Seems to me the North end may have already turned. Surface temp on main lake was 58, so it won't be too long. I do not have a cline finder thermostat in my boat, so I'm making a guess here.

Esox masquinongigantis
10-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks Scott for the reply! That makes sense the upper part of the lake would be close to/experiencing turnover since it is so much shallower and dirtier...there probably is not a distinct thermocline.