PDA

View Full Version : Lakemaster Comments

Frank Walsh
10-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Today I wanted to revisit an area that I trolled with Bret Miller about 5 years ago. I had only been there the one time, and was pretty impressed. I have been wanting to get back there again, but never found the time, or right conditions.

The good news is that this area is now on the Lakemaster chip. The bad news is that their survey of this area is two notches above worthless.
Frequently in the blue area on the chip, and in 30+ feet of water. I don't mean close by either. Also found the opposite. Showing deep contours, and actually very shallow.

What concerns me more, is the total absence marking critical rocks.
I can reluctantly accept them not marking an obscure rock off the beaten path, but they are missing a significant number of 2-5 foot rocks that are already indicated on the Canadian Hydro-graphic charts. Rocks that are located in some pretty well traveled areas.

This is some pretty scary stuff. and I would really caution anyone using this software to move around at any significant speed.

AlSmith
10-09-2009, 08:25 PM
This is some pretty scary stuff. and I would really caution anyone using this software to move around at any significant speed.[/QUOTE]

LOL it figures my copy shipped out today.....

Frank Walsh
10-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Don't panic. I would still get it. Much more accurate around here. Just double check areas you are not familiar with with your chart.

dougj@wiktel.com
10-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Had a spot the day before yesterday that showed 20'+ on my lakemaster chip. Suddenly my Jake snagged, went back to retrive it and it's stuck on a 4'er. Don't think you could hit this, but it's a long way from what the chip showed. The chip is pretty good, but I know of a fair number of rocks that aren't on it. Still the GPS accuracy is much better than the navonics chips I've tried.

Doug Johnson

AlSmith
10-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Don't panic. I would still get it. Much more accurate around here. Just double check areas you are not familiar with with your chart.

That's alright picked it up for $107 off their web site...I spent more than that for those worthless hotspot maps years ago.

Frank bringing up Italian beef again, let us know what night works out best. Besides Tim is anyone else going to be in camp, if so I'll bring more.

Tim save a night for beefs....

Al

Frank Walsh
10-10-2009, 03:18 AM
Al,
Thursday, or Friday nights work out best for me. We are pretty well full up for the rest of the season, so I would not want to impose the whole camp on you. However, if you choose Thursday or Friday (guess Thursday best), I would ask the we invite the Angry Inch. Skinny Chicago guy that does not eat much.

Doug,

Pretty much what I've said over the years. A good tool, but not perfect. What really concerned me yesterday, was the concentration, and blatancy of these missing objects in this area. Often I could see the rock, or was slightly awash. I don't expect them to be perfect, but no excuse of missing rocks that have already been located on the original chart.

As a comparison, the newly surveyed portion of the Navionics chip is pretty accurate as well. Reads much better after downloading the most current Lowrance software.

Sad part is they all have issues, and I doubt with production costs, will ever be perfected. However, still the best deal in town. If you want to appreciate how valuable it is, turn it off for a while.

What I have been doing for years is identifying these rocks (both marked and unmarked) as waypoints on the GPS. Then you have them forever, and can also advise some special person you may like. Notice I said waypoint, and not icon.

dpear
10-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Is there a difference between waypoint and icon?I'll be damned.And nearly was.
Off to get Rad Dog jr some geese.

Frank Walsh
10-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Here's a graphic illustration of the issue with Lakemaster.
Here is the same view of a rock shown with Lakemaster. The old Navionics, and the new Navionics. The rock is located upper right of the cursor.

Deadly situation. I cannot stress this issue enough.

Frank Walsh
10-24-2009, 06:56 AM
And the beef was fantastic. THANKS!!!!!

dpear
10-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Rocks move you know.If they didn't,I'd never hit one.

Frank Walsh
11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
As a note, I brought this to Lakemaster's attention. But to no surprise, no response.

Frank Walsh
04-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Saw this post on another website, and thought I'd steal it.

I have a Lowrance 27C and a 520, both bought last year. Bought the 2010 MN LakeMaster chip a week ago and was surprised to see it won't load on the 27C or the 520. Got the latest update for each unit installed today, didn't help. Shop manager called Lowrance, was told the processor in the older units was not large enough to handle the 2010 chip and Lowrance is starting to work on an update...

Thought you all might want to know. I'm trading the 2010 chip in for a 2009 that works.

NETim
04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
My bro just picked up a Lakemaster chip from Carbelas. Doesn't appear they got very far north on the lake to me. Don't remember the landmarks specifically but north o' Johnston passage wasn't too impressive if I remember right.

Frank Walsh
04-16-2010, 07:25 AM
They stopped at Big Narrows, east to the Kennedy Island area. Think their last addition was way east towards the Sioux Narrows area.

NETim
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM
They stopped at Big Narrows, east to the Kennedy Island area. Think their last addition was way east towards the Sioux Narrows area.

Pfft! Then what good is it? Might as well hang around the dock and fish for lost equipment under Dick's boat. :)

dougj@wiktel.com
04-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Frank:

Does the 2010 chip go any farther north than the 2009? I didn't see anyone mapping up there last year.

Doug J

balsl6
04-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Doug, I checked it out at the sports show this year and it goes further east but they did not map anymore around Big Narrows, skeet area. They got up to Kenora, Sioux narrows areas completed. They thought they would have the rest of it done this year or next.

They still are offering the $50 upgrade but he also told me when they get it completed they would probably discontinue that option so you wpould have to buy the complete chip.

Hope that helps!

Brett

Illinois Dennis
04-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Guess I'll hold off another year. Thanks for the great info.

I don't know how they think this helps sales, gotta wonder.