PDA

View Full Version : Miltona Advice

CrbLkGuy
10-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Hello Paul,
I am taking a trip to Miltona this Wed.-Sunday. I would greatly appreciate any musky advice you would have for a newbie to the area. Should I be casting, trolling, or soaking a sucker this weekend? What specific structural elements should I be focusing on? Thanks again for any tips.
Dave
P.S. Is there a good bait shop in the area?

Paul Schlagel
10-09-2009, 08:12 AM
This late in the year I like the steep break lines that have have good weeds on the edge. Miltona has some of the best looking cabbage you'll see anywhere, and much of it stays lush and green all the way to freeze-up. The sharp breaks with those weeds are the places I key on. If you've been to Miltona or at least looked at a map, you know that the lake is full of large flats which drop into deep water. The breaks are generally steep. If you're not sure which breakline areas have good weeds, you'll have to find them. In that case, look at the map and start exploring the breaks that look good - those that have points, inside turns, etc. Trolling will be a good way to explore and keep baits in the water at the same time. The breaks are steep and often have a lot of twists and turns, so a map chip is crucial on this lake. I like to throw the Mag. Dawg, Pounder, and Mo Joe. I also like to slow-roll a big spinnerbait with a single #10 blade. You couldn't go wrong wtih trolling a big crank either, especially when you're still finding your way around.

I've fished Miltona all the way through Thanksgiving weekend and caught muskies. It's a good lake in the late fall.

Good luck.