PDA

View Full Version : back home waiting to go back

dblj
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Fished friday, saturday 2 lakes north of boulder junction 2 lakes in the sugar camp area had 4 follows. 3 fish on a bucktail, 1 on a tallywacker. Still cant get any action on the algae lakes. Gona be heading back up for the st. germain musky tourny was wondering if there was a change in the patterns or if it was still the same. Has the water temps started to come down yet, and when they do how will this effect the range of musky? I would imangine the fish would be just outside the weed lines and possibly be relating to the rocks. Thanks in advance for any advice

Chas Martin
09-24-2009, 10:35 PM
dblj,

Water temps are still high, with mid day temps reaching into the 70-72 degree range. Rain and cooler temps this weekend will start lowering the water temps along with cooler evenings. Wind will also help to cool the water temps as it has been very calm for a long time. There is much debate over turnover and related topics so I will keep my thoughts brief! Early fall muskies can be much shallower that many anglers believe. If there are green weeds present, you can expect to find fish in water as shallow as 3 to 5 feet. As always, find the baitfish and you will likely find the muskies. After turnover is complete muskies generally move out over gravel areas just out from the weed line or where it used to be. Fish cribs are awesome fish attractors for all species, especially during the fall period. In stained waters this area may be in 10-15 feet and in clear waters it may be in 15-25 feet. BUT, the bottom line is do not restrict yourself to one or the other!!! I have caught muskies in the end of November when the lakes are freezing (sometimes freezing up completely the next day) and have taken some of these fish in 3 feet or less of water in weed cover. I have found the key to being successful is to be versatile and try multiple options until you catch a fish.

Good luck and fish hard!

Chas Martin
www.muskymastery.com