PDA

View Full Version : Summer Vs. Fall Presentations

The Outlaw TJ
09-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Herbie,

You had mentioned in your last fishing report that summertime presentations were still working. At what time during the year do summertime presentations start to become ineffective and fall presentations start to take more fish? Around September 1? Also, besides live baits, what fall presentations do you prefer to use? Do bucktails and topwaters still work in the fall and will muskies still be shallow? How is the Pike action in the fall?

We are looking to plan our annual trip next year later than we have in the past and are deciding between early August and early September. You advice would be much appreciated.

TJ

DanR
09-19-2009, 08:54 AM
We are looking to plan our annual trip next year later than we have in the past and are deciding between early August and early September. You advice would be much appreciated.
I'm sure Herbie will answer, but I can give you my opinion as well. If you want to go "later" with the idea of targeting larger fish, then I would look to mid-August to mid-October (when camp closes). Early August, that's not really "late".

If you want more "numbers" (not saying you don't have shots at 50+) go earlier in that window above. If you're looking for shots at larger fish, September seems to be great though you might not see as many fish, but oh man, this is when MONSTER time truly begins. Don't worry about turnover as there are different sections of the lake and AML will have you on water that is not turning. October the fish are really getting fat.

I go the end of August. It's a good mix of shots at really big fish, and also being able to get a lot of action. I have been there in September and October, and more consistently seen some "knee shakers" at that time. One time in October, we were seeing FAT 51-52" fish every day. We boated 49.75" and 50.5", among others. I didn't see it, but my buddy saw a fish so big he kind of had to sit down for a bit, and breathe slowly. I never saw it.

Next year, I'm going the last two weeks of August because I have to take back to back weeks off as policy at work (stupid, because they feel that if someone is committing fraud they can catch "changes" in the the pattern when you're out for two weeks...yeah, my Swiss bank account balance stands at ZERO. :D Whatever, I get that they have to play to the lowest common denominator.). If i were to split it up I would do it as follows:
If I didn't have a 50"+ to my name, I would go late August and late September. Since I do have a few 50's now, I would go late August and mid-October (just to get a little extra girth on any future 50's). but like I said, I cannot split it up so I am just doing the last half of August. My buddy Chuck and I have discussed a possible third trip in October (hopefully the economy will be much better, and I won't be getting slammed at work). :D

And yes, I am crazy. :D Eagle Lake will do that to you.

-Dan

no1hippo
09-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Comming up to camp in a couple of days been watching weather and looking forward to some fishing reports. How are the "BIG TOOTHY" ones doing , what presentations and baits seem to be working? We will be in camp 10-3 thru 10-10 and cant wait.
John