PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Bay - Fishing Report - August 30th

Kevin Nelson
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Kakagi (Crow) lake is still holding to the mid 60 degree water temps and Lake of the Woods running closer to 70. Not expecting much change in water temps for the week ahead.

The fish were not jumping in the boat by any means, but it was a pretty good week of fishing and most importantly everyone caught some fish.

Lake Trout - nothing huge, but still catching some jigging in and around the deeper holes. Thinking the afternoon - early evening bite has been the best period recently.

Walleye - 28" caught in Cedartree. Lake of the Woods provided several smaller eating size Walleyes.

Jumbo Perch - mostly coming from LOTW, but a few reported from Kakagi and Jessie.

Bass - 4.5 pound Smallmouth from Jessie along with a couple 3 pounders. Jessie was a pretty solid bass bite with outings of 50-70 bass in a day. A few 2 pound Bass caught trolling on Kakagi - with lots of action from the 1 - 1.5 pound Smallies.

Northern Pike - a few 30"-36" from Jessie, Cedartree and Kakagi along with many smaller Pike.

Muskie - 44" casting reefs and 38" while trolling for bass.

Jean and I did some fishing this past week - about 1 hour per evening. We let the weather determine our target species and we caught/saw plenty of fish. I had been occasionally trying to fish against the weather some of the time recently and the better bites seem rather predictable.

Sunny with light winds - Lake Trout - we caught or lost fish in 2 evenings.

Cold front - Northern Pike - we caught between 1 and 8 in 3 evenings.

Overcast day with overcast warm front in the evening - Muskie - at least 3 follows and 1 or 2 grabs each night, best night was 7 encounters in 2 evenings. Jean is now a believer that Kakagi actually has Sharks. After having a fish grab her lure, swim it back to the boat and release the lure next to the boat, Jean with shaking knees said "It's a Shark...that fish was too big to be a Muskie".

Jean needed to bring Jenny and Amy home to Buffalo, MN in preparation for school starting next week. This means a couple of seasonal changes for us 1) mailing 2010 trip deposits to our Buffalo address is fine. 2) the 800-541-5816 phone number is ringing to Buffalo, MN. Jean and I relay messages frequently and voice mail comes to both of us via e-mail.