PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Reports

Ryan Erdmann
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
How has the bite been in your area? Post, and share with our community.

Jim Hudson
09-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Ryan,

After seeing yourself and John the other week, fishing continues to be great up here on Chequamegon Bay and into the Apostle Islands. As of now, the Lake Trout and SmallMouth fishing has been nothing short of fantastic. Walleye fishing isnt too shabby either.

For the Trouts, the laker season will close soon here on WI waters (end of Sept), so now is the time to get up here and get the last dose of this big water fishing in. We have been averaging 10+ fish per half day trip with a good shot at fish over 10lbs up to and over 20lbs.

For the Smallies, these gluttons are really putting on the feed bag and will continue to do so until ice up.. 10 to 30 fish is a common day, with most fish caught averaging 18 or more inches.

Walleyes numbers arent as great as earlier in the summer, but the fish we have been catching have been quality fish. Fish in that 25" to 30" range are the common ones for this time of year.

Also, I should mention that our stream run fish are just starting now too.. Browns, Salmon, and fall Steelhead are coming into the creeks and things will continue to get better on this fishery as fall wears on.

Good fishing everyone..

Pete Brzezinski
09-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Muskie fishing has been nothing short of awesome this summer. Our guide service filmed a show with John and Pete earlier this summer and the fishing hasn't slowed at all. So far this season I've boated 96 muskie over 35 inches, 7 fish have topped the 50' mark with the biggest shown here at 53.5 inches. Sept. has been lights out here are the numbers so far 35, 38, 40, 40.5, 41, 41.5, 43, 43, 44, 44, 44.5, 46.5, 47.5, 48, 48.5, 49, 49, 49, 50, 50.75, 51!!! This is only out of my boat!! I hope this keeps up.

Pete Brzezinski
Northland Muskie Adventures Guide Service
(715) 574-1813

Dustin Carlson-Muskie Guide MN
10-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone a up date on the Vermilion Dam Lodge muskie outing over this weekend.

We had a wonderful cold front blow thru on Fri night giving us 2 " of snow on our boat come saturday morning and 30-40 mph winds. But the Muskies still were in feel mode.

We caught in my boat a 50"er on Sunday to top our weekend off, she ate a perch 10" beleiver in the prop wash.

http://edtausk.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/58-inch-musky-009.jpg?w=450

Also a huge congrads to Randy Porubcan caught a monster & state record 58"x29" girth appx 55-60 lbr. She ate a 14" firetiger jake, simply a monster and big congrads, Bob guided his clients to a 39" trolling also and another 41 was caught too. Tough conditions but a few monsters caught.

Also clients I guided earlier in the week got a 51 twitching a big game twitch bait.

So congrads to the muskie fisherman the stuck it out in the tough conditions to put a few big girls in the boat.

Big thanks to Ed at VDL for putting on a great weekend for the outing and look forward to it next year!!!

Attached is the pic of the 50 we got on sunday.

Attached is the 50" we got on sunday

I still have a few openings this fall if anyone is interented in search of a Big Lunge this fall on lake vermilion or in the Duluth area.

Dustin Carlson
218-464-0649

Dustin Carlson-Muskie Guide MN
10-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Everyone,
Well we are getting lots of snow up here today,Love it.
Just a update...
Fishin reports from the area muskie around Duluth & Superior lakes, The Sucker Bite is on, many being caught on Suckers now that we have cooler water temps45-49 degrees, stay out on the breaks 8-12'. Also the trolling Bite is starting to turn on and will only get better as the weather stabilizes.

Up on Vermilion, the trolling Bite is starting to get good, focus on the deeper breaks 10-18', troll jakes, beleivers & grandma's, GO BIG too. use 14" jakes!!!
Also been Casting has been good too, throw mag & pounder bulldawgs on the breaks & jakes too, focus on wind blown shorelines, and focus on points where the whitefish will start to be staging gettin ready to spawn, when the temps hit the low 40 degrees.

Still Have a few openings left for soem late fall fishing.
Call to book your trophy trip & for openings

Dustin Carlson
www.northlandmuskieadventures.com
218-464-0649

Andy Johnson
12-28-2009, 06:00 PM
This is a report I had from last week before the storm. I fished the harbor which only had a few inches of ice so I just drilled my holes next to the docks and sat on the dock. Fished for about 4 hours and caught 6 steelhead and one brown. Nothing huge but nice fish in the 6-8 lb. range. The steelhead once again are super fun on the ice rods and they were pretty looking fish. All fish came on spawn sacs. Nice to get out before the nasty weather!
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4066/img1933w.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/img1933w.jpg/)

myfishingpartner
12-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Winnebago Fishing Report 12-24-09
Seasonal temperatures and fair weather has allowed ice fishing to get into full swing during the past week. Ice conditions vary greatly throughout the system, but in general the bays have approximately 4-8 inches of ice with deeper areas of water with less ice. The main lake still remains rough (ice surface) in many areas, especially on the eastern and southern shores. There is a thin coating of snow over most of the ice sheet currently, but that could change rapidly this week as a huge winter storm approaches for the end of the week. Assuming the storm does not compromise the ice, I would expect a lot of company on the ice this weekend after the storm passes.

Lake Poygan has been the hot spot so far this season. Pan fish are still biting on the lake (Boom Bay), and the white bass have started to become active this week as well. Spikes and wax worms have been crucial when tipping your presentation. Pike and walleye fishing remain slow, however, a few are being taken.

The Harbor in Fond du Lac has had some fisherman working the inner harbor without much success. The area outside the harbor in front of the light house has had better results for medium sized perch.

The area near the Old Chaparral (North Fond du Lac) has been decent for crappies, gills and an occasional walleye. Wendt’s continues to produce small perch. Asylum Bay and Millers bay have produced pan fish inconsistently over the past week. There are a lot of small fish in these areas which you need to sort through to find the keepers. The Black Wolf area is reported as “Slow.”

The east shore is in tough shape with a lot of surface obstruction and build ups. There is little activity on this side of the lake currently, except in the Calumetville area. No reports of what they are catching in this area.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

myfishingpartner
12-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Winnebago Fishing Report 12-31-09

Happy New Year!

Once the Christmas day rain and snow storm cleared the area, Winnebagoland had beautiful December weather. The rain from the storm made an initial mess of the ice, but it has refrozen. The positive to the rain was that many of the really bad surface ice obstructions have been shrunk, and nearly all of the snow pack has been eliminated from the ice surface. It is fairly easy to get around the ice currently. Ice depths range from 4-11 inches on the main lake and 7-12 inches on Lake Poygan, Buttes des Mortes and the back bays of the Wolf River. Open water still exists in the Fox and Wolf Rivers at select locations.

Lake Poygan is the definite ”Hot Spot” currently. The walleyes are starting to get going, especially off of Spruce Lane in six feet of water on the south end. In addition, Norwegian Bay has a lot of fishermen working the area for walleyes, white bass and pan fish. It seems as if the fish are staged on the first break where shallow water becomes deeper (5-7 feet). Gold and silver are working well based on sunlight conditions. There are small vehicles driving on the ice, however, I do not recommend this quite yet. Someone has to be the first to drive out, and someone has to break through the ice first also! I prefer to leave that to someone other than me.

On Lake Buttes Des Mortes, Skipper Bud’s has had some limited action on pan fish, but most days are slow. It is getting constant action, mainly due to ease of access. In the shallow water areas of Sunset Bay, pan fish are going strong on waxies.

Lake Winnebago is getting some attention currently, mostly in the Oshkosh Area. The south end and parts of the north end of the main lake seem to be void of fishermen most days. By location, here is how some of the main areas are doing:

FDL Lighthouse: A few perch on the main lake, with an occasional white bass. The harbor is dead.

BP In TAYCHEEDAH: Quiet

Fisherman’s Road: Quiet

Old Chaparral (North Fond du Lac): a few pan fish, but slow

Black Wolf: Limited action, but some perch being reported

Menomonie Park and Merritt Street: a few walleyes and white bass

Millers Bay: Lots of fishermen, lots of small pan fish.

South Asylum Bay: Lots of fishermen, but overall very hit n miss

Brother Town: Walleyes and White bass both active. There are some bad areas of ice around the heaves, so be careful.

From Louis at Wolf River Outfitters: The Wolf River in Fremont and the Weyauwega Mill Pond are giving up “bull” bluegills on Gill Pills. They are also getting some perch in front of the campground in Fremont also.

It should be a very busy week/weekend on the ice. Nice weather, good ice, and biting fish…..what more could an angler wish for?