PDA

View Full Version : Mid-August

Captain Rick Bentley
08-24-2009, 11:59 AM
We have week left to go in August and the days are getting shorter. Pre-season football has arrived and some minor debates about Fantasy Football have been heard on the deck of the Independence while on the water. Fall is around the corner.

We continue to have a lot of good catches in terms of numbers and size in recent weeks and we have been fishing as shallow as 35 feet to as deep as 170 feet. Two weeks ago on a non-charter trip on a beautiful, flat-calm morning with my brother in law Leo, I hauled in a 24lb Chinook Salmon which is one of the largest Kings I have heard reported caught out of the harbor this season and indeed the biggest fish taken aboard the boat since I took the helm. You'll find this photo in the previously issued fishing report as well as in the photo gallery.

We also continue to catch some very large Brown Trout while fishing for Chinook and a young lady named Kate, expertly battled and caught a 17lb'er yesterday morning which was the largest among 12 other fish we caught.

Johnny "Speez" drew the number four spot in the fishing order again last week which is the same spot he batted when he caught a 16lb Brown Trout last month. While falling maybe a pound shy of the Brown, Johnny roped in a big Chinook and again had the biggest fish among the 8 fish that day. When he and his crew return again in September, maybe Johnny will make it 'three-times' with perhaps a huge Lake Trout but you can probably bet that he will have a harder time getting that #4 spot again!

Lastly, my old buddy Georgie that I wrote about to you in a past update had another strong outing last Sunday morning with Katryn, bringing in a total of 13 fish, 5 of which we released to grow up. We had some real nice fish that morning and that's two straight limit outings for them and the pressure is on (me, because George & Katryn don't lose many fish they have on!) to get them on the fish again next week!

While we usually fish into the end of October, the Port is repairing our fuel docks this season on October 1st which means that I am going to run the last charters on the 29th or 30th of September. So if you are keeping track and thinking of coming out, that means there are just over 5 weeks left to fish before I don a backpack, take to a canoe, and head to Canada in October. My god the season is going by fast but plenty of good fishing remains ahead for big Chinook, Brown Trout, and most likely some deep-water excursions to the Lake Trout spawning grounds in September.

My 2 & 3 person 5-hour charter special remains in effect for the rest of the season for Mondays through Thursday's at $125 a person if you can't arrange a larger group (and you get to catch all the fish yourselves!)

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions, comments, etc.

Thanks again to the crews that have been out recently. All recent photos have been updated to the website under Photo Gallery's 2009 Fishing Season tab.

Thanks for reading,
Capt Rick