PDA

View Full Version : Mille Lacs update 8/22

Paul Schlagel
08-22-2009, 11:04 AM
I've been told that my reports are always postitive. Skeptics have criticized my reporting and suggested that I wouldn't post anything negative, even when fishing is poor. I think I've been pretty honest about posting tough conditions. For any remaining skeptics, please read on:

Fishing sucked this week. After 1 1/2 weeks of scorching fishing action during warm and stable weather, conditions (and fishing) went in the crapper this past week. Just when the fishing got straightened out again after weeks of lousy, unstable weather, then along comes more lousy, unstable weather and the fishing slowed. This past week I had great fishermen and fisherwomen - tough as nails in bad conditions, patient, persistent, fun to be with, everything a guide wants in guests. Unfortunately, we boated one, lost two, and had a bunch of follows in the past five days. The past few days were just plain ugly: non-stop rain and roaring (and I mean ROARING) N and NW wind.

The water temps have dropped to the 66-68 range and the SW and S parts of the lake are pretty stirred-up after all the wind. Rocks are still producing more action than weeds. The sand isn't happening this year.

The weather has stabilized and the coming week looks calm and stable. Yes!

slimmer157
08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Paul,

When you say the rocks are producing a few fish, are you speaking of the shallow reefs close to shore that come up to a few feet deep or the midlake structure that comes up to 10ft or deeper. Will take any info, I have been stuggling this year since they seem to have left the weed beds. Thanks, a musky fisherman on a nasty dry spell.

Paul Schlagel
08-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Both. The off-shore reefs are the easiest way to get started fishing rocks - they're well-known and marked. There are also a lot of great shoreline spots, but these aren't as obvious or well known. It takes a lot of time to find the good shoreline stuff. There are some good shoreline spots that jump out at you when you're looking at the map, others need to be fished or scouted to find because they aren't as obvious. Start with the well-known off-shore reefs and learn more about shoreline spots when you have time to explore new stuff. This time of year you'll want to focus primarily on the shallow parts of the reef. Fish the deeper portions and edges later in the year.

I hope that helps. Good luck.