PDA

View Full Version : Any one been fishing?

Scott Donovan
08-19-2009, 11:49 AM
My boat has been in the shop for over a month and I have not been out chasing the walleyes lately. Any reports of the local fishing or any monster muskie from up North?

chris_young14
08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I was out fishing with Chad in Northern Minn a few days ago. We had some follows including a couple of 48s and a 53. Chad did boat a 44 that night...pretty cool site. We all had head lamps on as it was pitch black and it gave a pretty good jump. First musky I have seen get caught.

Chad really works hard for you...I was pretty sore the next morning...my dad was only able to fish the 1st half of the trip!

Yesterday I tried to apply some of the techniques that Chad taught us on Leech Lake...about 1/2 way through the day I thought it actually paid off. I was throwing a Llungen Tail into the channel of the Sucker River when something hit hard. It gave me a pretty good fight but ended up just being a big northern. Hopefully next time!

jmdavis
08-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Just got back from a fishing trip at Chautauqua in NY between August 3-12. Had to hurry home to start teaching at Marion High School this week. My brothers and I moved about 25 muskies ranging from the low 30's to high 40's. However, we had a hard time getting the muskies to bite. Most followed to the boat with their mouths closed. We had a lot of action on showgirls and double cow girls. We switched to throwing plastics and twitching jerkbaits and crankbaits, but still could not get the fish to commit. The weather was very unstable. The area got flash flooding and enough rain to bring the lake up a foot. The waterline was level with the park lot at the ramp when we left to come home. The southern end of the lake was in the middle of an algae bloom. Our boats were stained pea green. We only managed to boat 4 muskies. My dad got one in the low 30's, my brother got 2 in the low 30's, and I caught a personal best - 49.25" with a 22" girth. I'll try to post a picture soon.

Any ideas for getting so many followers to commit to bite???

jmdavis
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Here's a picture.

Jake

Chad Cain
08-20-2009, 02:03 AM
Hey Scott,

Holy cow did we some big fish today!! Client lost a big one on a Curly Sue at the boat, I lost a really big one on a DC-9, and my other client stuck a fattie of 50.5" on a DC-10. I had one follow today of an absolute pig!!

The fishing up here has really picked up the last couple weeks after we finally had a warm spell. It has cooled off, but the water is still a little above 70 degrees. A couple of the lakes up here got a really bad algae bloom from the warmer weather and got super green with little visibility.

Overall, been a pretty tough summer with a few good days mixed in. Last couple weeks have been good though with some fatties hitting the Frabill!!

If anyone is interested, I still have about ten days left open in September, and a few in the first week of October. They only keep getting fatter as time goes on!!!

Scott Donovan
08-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I wish I was up North right about now! My next muskie trip is to the St. Croix for the PMTT and thats still 3 weeks away. Sounds like everyone is into some nice fish in muskie country. I'm sure Mallard is on a few too... I know the water temps stayed below 80 on Kinkaid well into July this year. I wonder if it will stay hot later into the Fall this year. I heard the water temps up North had trouble reaching 70 for weeks. Should be a great late summer into fall no matter where you are fishing.

Nice fish Jake!

tiredog
08-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Got back from Wabigon lake ,ontario today. water temp went from 70 to 65 during the week but i still boated 4 muskie , biggest was 44. lots of blowups by some real pigs but they wouldnt bite the lure, got tired of that and tried some follow up lures. tied on a flying witch[12 inches long , imatates a whitefish] on 1 rod and a little storm swim shad on another. threw them in after blowups and they both got hit but i didnt get a hook stuck. Didnt relize til i tried this that the muskie stays right where he was when they blow up a lure.Anyway a lot of action up there as always. If u want muskie action check out Merkels camp on Wabigoon, Terry will set u up