PDA

View Full Version : Weekend review

Blind Robin
08-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey Everybody!

How was the weekend?

Saturday I was on the Mohawksin late afternoon until around 9:30 when it started to rain a little. Only problems I had were mosquitos after it turned dark and a couple of knucklehead jet skiers that kept buzzing by me and I'm talkin close, within 25 ft.. Man, it pisses me off when people do that. It's usually kids, but this time it was a couple of guys that looked to be in their thirties. I can't decide if the people who do this are just plain ignorant and thus oblivious to what's going on around them, or if they are jerks who are intentionally trying to screw up your fishing?

Anyway, that harassment only lasted for a little while and the jerk/jet skiers went on their way to another part of the lake.

I was able to pick up where me and Gary Wolf left off last week, and put some more crappies in the basket. Same rig - a little minnow on a pinky about 2 ft. under a pencil bobber. Caught a mess of them and kept 5 nice sized ones. They were all in tight up against the reeds. Also nailed 2 big gills while fishing for the crappies. About 8:30, I switched to walleye. I went up to one of my favorite spots which is just a little past the Somo trestle on the west side and fished the stumps close to the channel for about an hour, but only caught 1 walleye--- a skinny 12 incher. The mosquitos had a field day.

Today, I decided to take the boat up to the Rainbow and put in on the river. I think it's been almost 20 years since the last time I had fished there. I had completely forgot how fast that current was in some places. I'll tell you, I banged more than my share of boulders, too. My advice to anyone fishing that stretch of river below the Rainbow is to take someone with you! Especially if you're an old fart like me! You're going to need a spotter in the front of the boat or there's a real good chance that you'll end up needing a new lower unit.

Took a chance on the weather and got there about 1:00 o'clock, but only managed to put in a couple of hours fishing and much of that time was spent maneuvering the boat. Very difficult, but not a complete waste of time. I was able to catch (and released) a 39 inch musky on a black 1 oz bucktail. Went airborne for me twice! Had two more follows, both very nice looking fish.

Me and the wife are heading out to the Tomahawk Lodge for a late dinner. Can't wait to see if they've added dogfish to their menu yet.

Hope the rest of you did as well or better.

I don't always drink beer,
But when I do.....
I prefer Red White and Blue!

Stay thirsty my friends
;) Blind Robin

Aquatic Arts Fishing Pro Shop
08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
I fished off our docks and caught two Crappies, a Smallmouth Bass and 1 legal Walleye. No Bullheads or Dogfish! Oh yea I caught an earfull from the wife to get back in the shop and get to work!!

Dave

Lucas lake
08-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Dave, catch a small Gill or chunk a larger one and toss it out on a large circle hook and you'll have a great chance of getting a good size dogfish. Are you still having issues not catching bullheads?????? Try the weed beds as you enter Mohawksin from the Somo river( don't forget to smoke'em). Good fishing and tight lines.

Blind Robin
08-18-2009, 05:30 AM
Good mornin'

Hey Dave, wherever you're fishing sounds good to me......No bullheads and no dogs! I might start fishin' right in front of your dock, if you don't mind? Of course I would only fish there while you're working.

Hmm, on second thought, if you're fishing there when you're not working, then there might not be enough minutes in a day to make it worth my while!:D

Anyhow, it sounds like you did okay. I used to fish a couple of spots right around your bridge there. Fairly decent for walleyes at times. Got to fish that bridge at night though, unless you like birds crappin' on you continuously.

Forget about using cut up bluegills as bait for dogs. See if you can get your hands on a fresh piece of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's scalp. Got to imagine that the dogfish would just go crazy over that!

I don't always drink beer,
But when I do........
I prefer Red White and Blue!

Stay thirsty my friends.
;) Blind Robin