PDA

View Full Version : Mille Lacs update 8/13

Paul Schlagel
08-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Finally some summer weather! It's warming up quickly with the hot weather we've been getting. Surface temps shot up quickly and are around 74-76, depending on the time of day and location. The surface water heated quickly partly because it was relatively calm the past few days. A little windy weather could mix in the warm surface water and drop the temp a bit. The water is pretty clear but it could get a little bloom with the hot weather. The water is a little dirtier in the SW corner, probably due to the three weeks we had with almost daily, strong, NW wind.

Skipping a summary of recent numbers, I'll say that the action has been real good so far this week. I'm fishing fairly quickly, hitting a lot of spots in a day, and weeds and rock. The action has been pretty even between the two types of spots. I've been hitting the "spot-on-the-spot" of each location and moving on, attempting to pattern the fish each day. In the weeds, topwater, spinnerbaits, and big plastics like Bulldawgs, Big Joes, and Mo Joes have done well. On the rocks, mid-sized blade baits like the Spanky Baits 8" Fireball and topwaters have produced, especially when worked quickly. I haven't spent much time on the sand, but there weren't any fish spotted when I did. It's still questionable if the sand bite will happen, even with the hot weather.