PDA

View Full Version : Okuma rod recommendation

Paul Schlagel
08-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Here's another tackle review. I'll continue posting my impression of new gear when I can. I did a lot of reviews after last season to pass the winter months - here's a review in time to catch an item during the current season.

I borrowed a Okuma 9'3" H rod from a fellow guide friend to try the past couple weeks. I loved it.

First a little background. All the rods in my boat are Thorne Bros. custom rods that were built on St. Croix Avid and Legend blanks. I like the Avid action for a good all-purpose rod. The tip is soft enough to load easily in the cast and also provide forgiveness when playing a fish, yet there’s enough backbone to throw big baits or put a lot of pressure on a fish, when needed. I use long rods, the longer the better. I haven’t thrown with a rod under 9 feet for about three years. My guide clients use the same top-notch stuff I use, though I have rods for clients that range from 8 ½ ’-9’. I like a long handle, about 17”, for the extra leverage when casting and during the figure-8. The price on these rods range from $350-425 apiece.

I really think the Okuma rod I used is a mind-blowingly good rod for the money. The Okuma 9’3” H has a forgiving tip and stiff butt section, just the way I like it. The extra length makes casting a breeze and the length is great for carving out the biggest, smoothest figure-8s possible. The handle is pretty long, just the way I like it. I threw double-10s, Mag. Dawgs, and assorted top waters and it threw them all well. I’d suggest the XH for Pounders and other heavy swim baits. In the past couple weeks I has the rod, I also had clients throwing with it to get their impression. Total beginners who had never used a bait-caster, experienced anglers, and experts - everyone liked the rod.

A unique feature of the rod is that it telescopes, similar to a bass flippin’ stick, so it is easy to store. According to information posted my Mark Rogers from Okuma on a thread I saw on Musky Hunter, the rods collapse down to 7 ½ feet. This is nice for people who put their rods in rod lockers. Many who haven’t yet joined the trend toward longer rods have avoided 9 footers because they like to have their rods in lockers. These will fit in just about anyone’s locker. When Okuma came out with the 8’6” telescoping last year (also a fine rod) I laughed at the telescoping design. I never thought they’d hold up to the the abuse musky fishing can dish out. My friend used several of those rods last year and the performed fine. He goes about 260 lb., is built like the proverbial brick s**t house, and could set a hook in a cinder block. He didn’t break any rods. Nor did any of his beginner-level clients, who can sometimes be hard on gear. I guess I was wrong when I laughed at the telescoping design.

Price? I can’t believe it’s only $119.99. That price will make it tough to ever spend $350+ for a rod again.

I guess availability isn’t widespread, yet. According to the post I saw at Musky Hunter, the rods are available at Rollie and Helen’s and a Smokie’s Musky Shop. They’ll also be found at other places that carry Okuma stuff when they become more widely available. I know Rollie and Helen’s ship rods really cheap, so that’s a good source.

For years I recommended the Shimano Compre when asked for my recommendation in the reasonably-priced rod category, when folks wanted a good rod that didn’t cost an arm and a leg. The Compre 8’0” XH is still a good rod, but Shimano needs to catch up to the rest of rod builders and start offering a long rod. Long rods are the way to go. Period. Shimano is long over-due to update their Compre line. My strong recommendation now goes to the Okuma 8’6” or 9’3” rods. When I buy a couple it'll be 9'3" H and 9'3" XH.