PDA

View Full Version : Musky Fishing Report

Andy Huffmaster
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Musky fishing has continued to be pretty good in the Mercer area for the past week. Fish have been active on the weed edges, especially those on the wind blown side of the lake. Prop style topwater has been by far the top lure when the fish get active, bucktails have taken some fish as well. During the slow times rubber baits and slower topwater like hawg wobblers have been effective very tight to the edge or right in the thickest weeds you can find. Peak activity has been an hour or so before moon rise and anytime some heavy cloud cover or rain moves in. I spent the last six evenings fishing with a great group of 6 guys making their first visit to the Mercer area. I had a couple of experienced Musky anglers in the boat and the rest of the group caught on quickly and got into some action throughout the week. We had 6 chances to catch Muskies during the week, unfortunately we only got one of them to stay hooked, had multiple follows as well but no takers on the eight. We also landed a pretty nice pike and a really nice walleye. We experienced a lot of heartbreak but still had a good time(I hope Mark doesn't give you guys to hard of a time after only going out one evening an landing the only Musky). Got a rare opportunity to get out with my dad last friday and he got this thick 41" Musky. If the warm weather makes it here that should help the fishing even more.
Good Luck!