PDA

View Full Version : Our Week at WBC

Red Team Leader
08-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Just thought I would post a quick report from our trip last week.

This was my daughter Diana’s first trip to Canada and With Bay Camp.

I was not sure how much she would enjoy spending 12 plus hours a day in the boat with her dad, but she loved it and is already talking about our next trip up.

I can truly say is she turned out to be the best partner I have ever had for a week of chasing Muskie, she’s a great student and never second guessed any of my location choices all week, and was always as impatient as I was to get back on the water, just the way I like my partners to be! (Right Loaf)

We spent the first morning jigging my favorite hump in Andrews just to break the ice, and it put Diana on her first Canadian Walleye, Perch, Smallmouth and Northern.

After having hit four of the five major species of the “Lake of the Woods cycle” within our first 3 hours on the water it was time for Di to master the bait casting rig in search of the Muskie.

After 15 minutes of instruction and practice casting, Di was hurling bucktails and glide baits in pursuit of Esox.

I had a hard time getting Di to jig again for the rest of our trip, after her first follow of a upper 40’s fish Monday afternoon, I knew from that point forward she had Esox on the brain just like her dad.

We did spent one more morning jig fishing structure mid week for a couple of shore lunch Eye’s and ended up catching and releasing well over 50 fish until she insisted on casting Muskie once again.

She schooled me 3 to 1 by the way that morning (And I am no jig fishing slouch, LOL) but with just a few leech’s left in the boat and with plastics there after which can be tough to fish at times she did great, nice job Di.

The weather had put the Muskies in a “follow but not eat mode” with dropping water temps all week starting with sun and wind followed by clouds and wind followed by rain and wind followed by wind and wind, and did I mention it was a little windy that week?

We did raise many plus 40” fish with a few 50” beasts mixed in, and Di was the Northern Queen putting a good number of plus 30” fish in the boat with a very thick 38” as her best.

Our last evening fishing was in the rain with thunder in the back ground and wind building. We managed to boat 2 plus 40” Muskie that night 20 minutes apart in the Clam Complex to finish our trip on a high note.

To sum it up we had a great week at WBC, caught lots of fish. It’s always good to see everybody who seems to book the same week at camp and catch up with the staff and guests after a long year away from WBC.

I look forward to the 3rd week of October now when I will return to hunt big fall fish with a group of good friends in one of WBC’s housekeeping cabins.

I will post our results after our week in October.

Enjoy a few photos of our trip last week below.

Tight lines all,
RTL

Jratthelake
08-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Great post and great pics Kev, lookin forward to October. There were a few firsts while you were up here as Bri got her first Musky, a real nice 38 inch fish on a Jackpot, these girls can fish and will be fishing circles around alot a guys in a few years, dont be afraid to put a Musky rod in the hands of your daughters guys, they will suprise you.

Red Team Leader
08-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Jr,

As you know I had the great pleasure of spending an afternoon watching our daughters Bri and Di work the water hard in my boat raising 3 nice fish and doing everything right from seeing the follows to executing flawless figure 8’s boat side.

Bri had the hooks in a real nice fish that would have topped her 38” first Muskie by 6 plus inches easy, this mid 40’s fish won the battle spiting the hooks after a very well preformed figure 8 and without a blink of an eye she went right back to work in search of the next fish.

Your rights that these two anglers have a bright future in the sport there fathers love so much, we are very lucky men to have our beautiful daughters by our side casting hard, asking questions and learning by example.

Keep the avenue of communication open my good friend.

As I also look forward to October,

RTL

Janelle R. McFarland
08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Great posts guys. I really enjoy reading your fishing stories and just beat myself up for cancelling our trip this year. My brother and I can hardly wait for next year. And you talk about putting a musky rod in a daughter's hands....I hope that Ashlynn is slinging baits by the time she's 5. I'm hoping she has the strength to hold a jigging rod by 16 months- she'll be that old when she comes up next year! Believe you me- she will be a fishin' lady like her mamma!