PDA

View Full Version : Bit-o-the North resort?

Silverspring
07-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi.

I'm planning on coming up to Tomahawk in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone knows if the resort called Bit-o-the North is still in business? They were located up on the Somo river. I tried looking them up, but have had no success. Its been quite a few years (around 20) since the last time I was there. So I imagine that there is a good possibility that they've changed hands.

I remember liking the place very much. They had this little beer bar and parlor room set up right in the resorts office building. The cabins were rustic and the grounds were wooded and the stretch of river that they were on, was very peaceful. The nights were beautiful, you felt like you were in the middle of nowhere. Not alot of boat traffic. I'm sure plenty has changed since the last time I stayed there.

If anyone knows if the place is still in business, I'd appreciate the information.

Thanks.

JimL
07-30-2009, 02:58 PM
I wonder if it is still around too. I am surprised they do not have a website. I never stayed there but drove through once. It seemed really nice. I found this number online. I am not sure if it works or not. (715) 453-2069

Duck point is on the Jersey Flowage. We were the only people staying there in June the last few years. It was nice and quiet. It has become a bit in need of some repairs over the years, but we continue to go every year. We have been going for the last 17 years. I was 10 or 11 when we first stayed there. I guess it is kind of for sentimental reasons that we keep going despite the fact that it is not the most up to date place. Its nice and quiet and the fishing is good.

Let me know what you find out about Bit o the North.

tjmac
07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Stayed there many times-jim carey-sold the place as condos 6 or7 years ago and then he moved to Alaska-very sad ending for him and hard to believe but he joined a cult in Alaska and at some point commited suicide-He was a real quite-all around good guy-He put up with our shanagins, while our many stays for years at his place-stay at Dave place right off the river Aquatic Arts-Baites Motel-nice place close to everything-Have a drink or two with Andy at the Bridge

Lucas lake
07-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Silverspring.
I would agree that it is no longer a resort. It is still one of my favorite areas, from the island down the stretch of the river just past the resort. Be careful not to hit a stump. Fish the bends of the river channel( some nice holes that hold you name it. I've caught muskies in the upper 40's and each year walleyes over 5 lbs. in this area. It is under fished compared to the big lake. Fish the stumps for crappie and gills. Not far form the resort there is a couple of bays with some nice largemouth. In these bays you can tie into some good size dogfish also. lately I've also run into some nice perch. Silverspring If you make it up lets us know, I'm always willing to let you know whats working.

Silverspring
07-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the information, everyone. That's very disappointing to hear what happened to the resort...... But it's even worse news about Jim.

I can't imagine the place as a condominium complex. It must look really out of place there. I remember there being single family homes and a few trailers in that area. But the lots were all decently spaced and very wooded. There must have been a lot of development in that area since the last time I was there. Otherwise, I just can't understand how a condo complex could work in such a secluded place.

I've stayed at Dave's, Baits Motel before. Very nice, clean, convenient and the hosts couldn't be more accommodating. I've also had my share of drinks at the Bridge.

This trip I was hoping to get a little more rustic, but the fishing is the most important thing.
The place on the Jersey sounds interesting, thanks for the tip. Although, I really have my heart set on fishing the Mohawksin this time. Especially after reading all these stories about the huge dogfish that are being caught.

Thanks again for the info.

supra8795
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
My brother in laws family rents cottages on lake alice. If you would like i could try to find out some more info. I think there is a few that he rents out.

Silverspring
07-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks Supra.

I think that for this trip I'm going to stay at Baits because I want to concentrate my efforts on the Mohawksin. But it's good to know for the future. I've only fished Alice a few times and that was many years ago. How is the lake for dogfish, any success?

Novak
12-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Hello Everyone, I know this thread is older than a year now but I just wanted to join and post a reply on here because you guys are correct, the Bit-o-the North resort was auctioned off back in 2000 and was sold to individual families. I am currently one of the cabin owners and nothing has changed since the resort sold. It is organized as a "Condo association" but the grounds and cabins have all stayed the same.

The cabins are all original how they were when Jim Carrey rented them out. Tomahawk and Lake Mohawksin are a gorgeous place and over the years we have heard and talked to many people that rented and grew up with Jim at Bit-o-the-North and it is always nice to hear from others who have fond memories.

It is unfortunate what happened to Jim but his spirit lives on still with all of us here as Bit-o-the-North is a very special place to be. If any of you have any questions or want to share memories I would love to hear them and I look forward to knowing all of you.

Jon