PDA

View Full Version : Vacation week July 11-19

Luke McGarry
07-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Well, I got to spend some needed vacation time on the Rock. I wish I could report good results. Weds-Sat was quite windy with 15-30 mph winds out of the N-NW most of the time. Air temps dropped on Friday-Saturday into the 60's during the day.

I got to fish 4 days. Water temps were in the 73-74 degree range Mon-Tues and 69 degrees on Thurs. Thursday was the only windy day I got out. On that day, I launched at Mays Point and played the Trestle and Lilly pads. It got harder to control the boat the closer I got to the Mays Point boat launch along the lilly pads. I was up to 80% power on the Minn Kota and was barely able to move into the wind. That's when I called it quits.

The interesting thing I found was that I could hit on white bass and crappies with minnows, but when I used a Gulp Emerald Shiner minnow on a jig I could not get hookups. I was using a 4 inch minnow and they would hit it or even pick it up and carry it, but I couldn't get any hookups. I changed jig size, tried a stinger and even kept cutting the minnow shorter and shorter until I was fishing with just 2 inches of the tail. Even then, I would get hits, but no hookups. Go figure.

One of the other fellas I spoke with on the 19th had good luck with the 3 inch Gulp Emerald Shiner minnow. I think that one has a smaller body diameter than what I was using. He said that the crappies were 'slammin' the jig. I agree with that. The crappies I caught felt like they were running at full speed when they hit.

Keep trying and trying and trying. It's better than work.

Luke