PDA

View Full Version : Looks like rain :/

Retro
07-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Howdy,
Brian, I think I met you once before at BOTL in 07. If your the guy who owned the Tuffy? If so you have a great blog here and it was cool running into you, if your not the guy I am thinking of the blogs are still great. Good job.
We will be heading up to Cass on Sat. and the temps here in Kansas City are about 15-20 degrees below what they usually are. Really weird.... Looking at the 10 day up there it looks like nothing above 70 and rain so far. Up to this point have the Muskies been on track to where they need to be in late July early August? Last year we went to Leech and talking to people it was tough all over as the fish seemed two or three weeks behind. Based on what you've seen so far this year have the fish been a little more aggressive compared to last?
Thanks and may the Muskie Gods look down apon us.

Retro

Brian Jones
07-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey Retro,

I am the guy with the Tuffy. Not sure what I could remember you by, to many faces over too many seasons and I am young by some standards...lol

The water is down to the low 60's so we are in a funk. Fish are on some of the spots they should be but I am wondering if I would find more on some early fall locations since summer patterns don't seem like they will ever fully develop this year. So to answer your two questions, NO and kinda, less follows and more just eating the bait.

Good luck while you are here...we are all going to need it if things don't turn around!

Brian

Retro
07-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks Brian,
Well, I am gonna try to keep optimistic on a great week. Maybe I'll try some of that Zen stuff of envisioning the fish in the boat..lol
I'll keep an eye out for you out there and give ya a hi if I see ya or around BOTL.
Thanks again for the update and keep up the good work.

Sackett
07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree, it's tougher than it should be. Lots of small fish. A week of 80s would do wonders. Good luck.

Retro
08-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Well were back here in Kansas City after a kick ass week at Cass.
The weather wasn't as bad as the the forecast predicted, but not ideal eather. The week was a tough week of fishing. Rick down at the docks at BOTL told me you took out a client Tues. and got a Ski. Sorry Brian but I cussed ya a little bit under my breath as I had only had 2 follows and then thought that's why your a pro. :)
Wends, I got 1 more follow and was getting frustrated the fish were not opening there mouths. I changed my game plan Wends night and decided to go for Pike. I figured Musky eat pike all day long so if I put my lure in with the Pike a Musky will hit.....Maybe.....I missed something big but not sure if it was a big Pike or Musky. I kept with that game plan and when Thurs night came I had 1 day left and no Musky %$#@%$##@!.
I reviewed and planned to try a few new spots Friday morning. I woke up Friday and noticed on the water the wind had changed. It was coming out of the NW all week and Friday it was coming out of the SW. Fishing was tough for about 10 mins when a Eagle dove 2 times to swoop up my lure. Freaked me the hell out! I got a follow about 20 Mins later and a bite after that and landed a under 48" Musky that hit my Weagle at 20 MPH broadside and arcked 4 feet out of the water.....it was beautiful. Damn fish should have worn a cape cuz he was like like super fish. LOL.
In the late afternoon the wind was blowing and told the wife to grab the video camera as the fish were moving. On my 2nd cast a big ass Musky missed my weagle after the pause and that was it. The Big rain came in Friday night and we nailed it back to dock. For the week I ended up with 2 Bass, 12 Northens (Biggest was 37") 3 lost fish, 3 follows and 1 Musky (44"). I wish I woulda ran into you, maybe next time. I thought I seen you coming out of BOTL West but wasn't sure. Anyways, we have reservations next year for the 4th of July, keep up the great work. Until next time, may the Musky Gods smile apon you.
Retro.