PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Fishing Report: July 3 - 10, 2009

Justin Gaudry
07-11-2009, 04:24 PM
A promising weather week turned around a bit and brought a cold front through that kept the water temps from stabilizing. We saw 68-69 degrees go down to 63-64 degrees mid-week with chilly nights and some cloud cover that brought a rain storm with some wind.

Walleye fishing was still very good early in the week, with some nice sized fish being caught. The monster walleye mentioned and pictured in another thread was caught in deep water in Miles Bay, but the majority of the fish caught this week were found on the edges of the humps again. There was a group that reported catching some nice frying pan walleye in 4 feet of water on top of a reef, but that was the exception to the general rule of the week.

There was some excellent fishing for walleye found out west for those that took a longer boat ride. Areas around Rubber Island & Pony Island were mentioned more than once during the week.

Muskies were a little sluggish in general again. The unstable weather and fluctuating water temps seem to have the fish a little turned off, but there was some more activity in the evenings for our groups this week. I believe 45" were the 3 biggest muskies of the week in camp, but I did speak to a couple of anglers staying somewhere on the lake that caught a 48" this week. We chatted a bit while they got some gas and they did report a few muskies coming from mid-lake rock structure, but also had a really good day in the weeds earlier in the week. It seems as if Basil is quite correct in thinking the fish are transitioning to summer haunts and may be a little bit harder to contact while they are on the move.

A nice 42" northern was caught and released this week out of the weeks, as well as a 40" muskie caught on a fly rod and big fly! I'll have a little more details on that fish in a couple of days.

There was also a nice smallie caught and released (19.5"), and a 45" muskie was caught while fishing smallies.

The wind is up to start the week, but looks to be calming down some as the week goes on. So far, it look like easterly based winds (NE, SE, etc) so we may not get the warming trend we're hoping for to give the fishing a boost.

We have mostly walleye fishing guests in camp this week so we'll get a great read on the walleyes.

fastcast2
07-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Justin
Pattie and I were up the week of the 3rd to the 12th,but we left fri am because of the winds.Fishing was off somewhat because of mayfly hatch and cool temps at night.We moved a few big fish and I lost 2 big fish on spinnerbaits when they changed direction on me.Managed to land a 42 and 40 on consective casts off of bare rock.Most of the other fish we caught came from rock.We fished alot of weeds and couldn't catch any northerns,very strange conditions.Heading back up fri for a week.Will be over for gas.Hope the temp warms up and we get a top water bite.
Jeff and Pattie 9C sportsman harbor

Justin Gaudry
07-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Thank you for the contribution, Jeff. It's great to have anglers with the pedigree from LOTW that both you and Pattie bring to the table. Board readers will have a head up on things if they pay attention to what you have to say.

Looking forward to putting some Premium Gas in that big ranger soon.