PDA

View Full Version : July 8 Fishing Report

Jeff's Guide Service
07-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi Folks.

MUSKY action has definitely picked up during the past week. As the mayfly hatch is winding down and the walleyes have slowed dramatically on many area lakes, some big muskies have begun to go on the prowl in search of food and are falling victim to eager anglers. Activity has been very good on virtually ALL musky waters throughout the area. Large lures have been working very well. Suicks and big cranks run on deep weed edges have proven very effective in moving fish. Bulldogs and other related rubber-type lures have also been very good. Top-water has slowed up with the extended cold front that has hit us. But as temperatures warm up, so will these lures. Fish are being found all over the place. We’ve been seeing fish in shallow weeds, deep weeds and rock bars. They’re really moving right at the moment and if you want a shot at a musky, this upcoming week should be a good one. This is a big-fish bite window that should only last a short while and then settle in to standard summer patterns.

WALLEYE fishing has really slowed down. These fish are resting after putting on a major feed as the mayflies hatched. We’re still catching fish, and some nice ones to boot, but they’re not coming easy and you must work your areas very slow and thoroughly. You might make 10 casts into one spot and on the last cast you’ll pick up a walleye. Jigs-tipped with crawlers along with slip bobbers have proven very effective. Bites are very light, so don’t overlook anything when it comes to detecting a hit. If it feels a little different, be very careful. Fish are definitely being found in weeds and it doesn’t take a lot. I have not found anything on rocks with any consistency and they have moved pretty much out of the straight timber areas. Water depths vary from lake to lake, but I’m never finding fish in anything more than 15 feet of water.

The upcoming week should show us an increase in fish activity. Muskies should still be providing anglers with some very good action and after 12 straight days of northwest winds, we are supposed to see a wind change as of today and some storms tomorrow night. I’m banking that this is going to put the walleyes into full summer patterns and a pretty fair bite.

That’s it for now. See you on the water. Jeff Winters