PDA

View Full Version : Mayfly hatch

coolaidtes
07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey Justin,
Being a spring Walleye warrior, I am not so sure what to expect when we get up there this Thursday July 9 (can’t wait by the way) bring my son his first trip. Anyway, how are the mayflies, will we catch any Walleyes? Do the eyes hang in the same areas as the spring, only deeper, Garden, Rabbit, the usually places. Travis

Justin Gaudry
07-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey Trav,

It will be great to see you spend some time on the lake with your son. I'll have the G3 and 40 4-stroke Yamaha ready to roll when you get here.

The mayfly hatch is pretty much over, but we'll see some dead stuff on the surface for a few more days. The hatch wasn't nearly as bad this year on the lake compared to last year. I'm still getting stung on the face (OUCH!) by a few on the way in from muskie fishing after dark so they aren't totally gone yet. I haven't swallowed one yet this year, but I was darn close two nights ago. YUCK!!

The walleye bite has been pretty consistent for a week or so since the wind calmed down a bit and the weather stabilized. Walleyes are concentrated more on mid-lake humps (reefs) during the summer months. It will be a bit of a different experience than your usual Memorial Weekend trip. We have some seasonal people that will fish shoreline all season long, but the best summer fishing has been on the traditionally been hump and reef related over the years. The last few has seen a trend to fishing the edges where it breaks down into deeper water or slopes down more slowly. Not as many people report catching walleyes on the top of a reef anymore. I can't really say why that is, I just know it's true.

We'll get you some areas and reefs marked on your map so you can get out there and start jigging on Thursday afternoon/evening. There are plenty of reefs to fish in the areas you guys are familiar with. Hopefully the wind will stay down and not make it hard to be out in the open water. It can be harder to fish the target areas in the summer with wind compared to early season with wind.