PDA

View Full Version : Musky Report (July 2nd)

Medford Fisher
07-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh how us fishermen love coldfronts!!! I was in Canada last week with my brother and dad enjoying the best weather we've had this year so I couldn't have asked for better weather during the trip. We ended up getting 12 muskies in the boat in 6 days, with the biggest being a nice 48". On LOTW (Nestor Falls), the fish were almost all caught on WTD's with the Weagle taking a few more than the jackpot. I had a decent northern smack the jackpot right as a storm was rolling in and just after it hit, I felt a ton of weight on the rod and then it was gone. I figured I knew what happened...and sure enough, I get the northern to the boat and there's 2 big gash marks from a nice musky in it. After the northern was on the side of the boat for about 5 seconds, up comes about a 50" musky....figures! We also fished Crow Lake quite a bit and managed quite a few fish all on bucktails.

Northern Wisconsin - I came back to a nice old coldfront on Sunday, but we still decided to check out a lake that we've really been wanting to hit. Deeper and clearer, but we couldn't get anything going deep so I threw on a Weagle...wasn't much longer until I had a 40" in the net. We also got another 40" and a nice 45" on another WTD. On Tuesday, we got two more on WTD's both were mid to upper-30" fish within 15 minutes of moonrise. Yesterday (Wednesday), we fished another new lake and hit the best spot right at moonrise and it paid off with a beautiful 43" musky on a Homewrecker (WTD topwater). Very interesting to see how we've been able to get shallow fish going on topwater during this ridiculous coldfront. The moonrise has definitely been the key the past few days and be sure to be on your best spot before, during and after the rise. Surprisingly, we haven't been able to get much going deeper on soft plastics, cranks, or spinners at all...that's usually the key to these coldfronts for us; however, I've read another report that was saying go deep. I guess the only thing to do is chuck lures and let the fish do the talking. With the 4th coming up this weekend, the cold front is supposed to snap and we'll finally be getting some nice weather. We've got two trips planned next week to try and get some really neat footage. Hope everyone has a great and safe 4th and is able to get out in the boat or in the woods to enjoy the outdoors.
-Jake Bucki

P.S. Congrats to Mark and Clay on their 1st place at Squirrel...now, they'll have to go back to back on the Mani Chain to repeat last year's success. Below are a few pics of the fish from Canada.