PDA

View Full Version : Waukegan 6-20 & 6-21

Captain Rick Bentley
06-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Well, summer has officially arrived and with that, the seasons within the season on the Lake are changing as well.

While we continue to catch Coho that are now in the 6-8lb range, the big Chinook Salmon are now appearing in greater frequency and last weekend we hauled in a big Chinook each time on the water. This trend of catching larger fish will increase along with additional catches Lake Trout and Steelhead.

Last Saturday I had an old college friend and her friend come out for an abbreviated afternoon trip. Abbreviated because it was a little buggy without a hint of breeze and after catching four nice fish which included a 13lb Chinook Salmon, we called it a day and headed for port and a few cocktails. Early Sunday morning I saw more familiar faces that have been on the boat in the past including another ISU grad. The sun rose that morning on a moderate haze which made it a touch cooler and we had just enough of a light breeze to keep all the bugs away. We had pretty good action on the fish for the first 45 minutes but by no fault of the crew, we couldn't manage to hook them up well enough. Still, Rob reeled in the biggest of the morning, a 13lb Chinook on the copper line setup that could have been a twin of the one we caught Saturday. (Photos are updated on the website in the Gallery under '2009 Album')

Fishing is picking up again from the recent lull. We seem to hit this bump in the road just about every season however we never know when it will arrive. I think it is now behind us for the most part and I am looking forward to some beautiful sunrises and tying into some large fish. Summer is my favorite time to be at the harbor and on the Lake because the pace of everyday life downshifts just a touch and there's a little 'less work' in the air ... and on the water any strike on the end of the line has every chance of being the big one!

During your own 'Summer Downshift', take a little time to do something different and unique. Spend a half or a full day on the water with friends and family catching salmon & trout from the chilly waters of lake Michigan and have a cookout afterwards with the catch.

In order to usher in the month of July I am offering the following promotions:

** Monday thru Thursday, the group rate for a 5-hour fishing trip drops to $350 ($75 off) **

** Also remember that groups of 2 people during the week can come for a 5-hour fishing trip for only $250 **

So while weekday availability is greater, weekend slots in July and August are filling in. If you are considering a Saturday or Sunday, you should make a move pretty soon to get your preferred date.

Thanks for reading everyone and hope to see you soon.